* The European Union’s drug regulator stated it has concluded in its assessment that Moderna’s COVID-19 booster vaccine could also be given to folks aged 18 and above, at the very least six months after the second dose.
* Russia reported a file variety of each day instances and a few central European nations imposed recent restrictions on Monday, as a brand new wave of the pandemic gathered tempo.
* Spain reached the grim milestone of 5 million instances through the pandemic.
* The Dutch authorities might impose new restrictions to cut back stress on hospitals struggling to take care of a swelling variety of sufferers.
* US President Joe Biden on Monday signed an order imposing new vaccine necessities for many international nationwide air travellers and lifting extreme journey restrictions on China, India and far of Europe efficient November 8.
* The Biden administration stated it’ll make investments $US70 million ($A93 million) to spice up the supply and decrease prices of fast, over-the-counter assessments in america.
* Venezuela reopened public faculties and universities which serve greater than 11 million college students, although some faculties remained closed for repairs or due to lack of employees.
* As Australia edges in direction of a nationwide 80 per cent COVID-19 vaccination fee, preparations are being made for a booster program.
* China’s newest outbreak is more and more prone to unfold additional, a well being official stated on Sunday, as authorities urged all areas to step up monitoring and known as for a discount in journey throughout provinces.
* Rivals within the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics will probably be topic to each day assessments and will probably be required to stay in a closed loop that features transport between the varied video games venues.
* Indonesia is “finalising” a take care of Merck & Co to acquire its experimental antiviral capsules to deal with COVID-19 illnesses.
MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA
* South Africa’s Aspen Pharmacare is aiming to ramp up its vaccine manufacturing capability to 1.3 billion doses a yr by February 2024, up from a present annual output of round 250 million doses, the corporate’s CEO advised Reuters.
* Namibia will droop its rollout of Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine, days after the medicine regulator in neighbouring South Africa flagged considerations about its security for folks susceptible to HIV.
* Scientists on the US Meals and Drug Administration stated the possible advantages of giving the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to five to 11 yr olds clearly outweigh the dangers of uncommon instances of coronary heart irritation.
* COVID-19 sufferers who require surgical procedure seem to face fewer issues if they’ve beforehand been vaccinated towards the flu, new knowledge recommend.
* US drugmaker Merck & Co Inc stated the European Union’s drug regulator has initiated a real-time assessment of its experimental COVID-19 antiviral drug for adults.
* International fairness markets rose, whereas US Treasury yields dipped as buyers had been buoyed by a better-than-expected US company earnings season that kicks into gear this week.
* The European Union disbursed 600 million euros ($A931 million) to Ukraine, the second tranche of an assist program to assist its jap European neighbour by the financial shock of the pandemic.