(Reuters) – Moderna Inc stated on Monday its COVID-19 vaccine generated a powerful immune response in youngsters aged six to 11 years and that it plans to submit the information to international regulators quickly.
DEATHS AND INFECTIONS
* Eikon customers, see COVID-19: MacroVitals https://apac1.apps.cp.thomsonreuters.com/cms/?navid=1592404098 for a case tracker and abstract of stories
* The European Union’s drug regulator stated it has concluded in its evaluation that Moderna’s COVID-19 booster vaccine could also be given to folks aged 18 years and above, at the very least six months after the second dose.
** Russia reported a file excessive variety of each day COVID-19 circumstances and a few central European international locations imposed recent restrictions on Monday, as a brand new wave of the pandemic gathered tempo.
* Spain reached the grim milestone of 5 million COVID-19 circumstances in the course of the pandemic.
* The Dutch authorities might impose new coronavirus restrictions to scale back stress on hospitals struggling to take care of a swelling variety of COVID-19 sufferers.
* U.S. President Joe Biden on Monday signed an order imposing new vaccine necessities for many international nationwide air vacationers and lifting extreme journey restrictions on China, India and far of Europe efficient Nov. 8.
* The Biden administration stated it’ll make investments $70 million to spice up the supply and decrease prices of speedy, over-the-counter COVID-19 exams in the US.
* Venezuela reopened public faculties and universities which serve greater than 11 million college students, although some faculties remained closed for repairs or due to lack of workers.
* China’s newest COVID-19 outbreak is more and more prone to unfold additional, a well being official stated on Sunday, as authorities urged all areas to step up monitoring and known as for a discount in journey throughout provinces.
* Rivals within the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics can be topic to each day exams for COVID-19 and can be required to stay in a closed loop that features transport between the varied video games venues.
* Indonesia is “finalising” a take care of Merck & Co to obtain its experimental antiviral tablets to deal with COVID-19 illnesses.
MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA
* South Africa’s Aspen Pharmacare is aiming to ramp up its COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing capability to 1.3 billion doses a yr by February 2024, up from a present annual output of round 250 million doses, the corporate’s CEO informed Reuters.
* Namibia will droop its rollout of Russia’s Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine, days after the medicine regulator in neighbouring South Africa flagged issues about its security for folks liable to HIV.
* Scientists on the U.S. Meals and Drug Administration stated the doubtless advantages of giving the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to five to 11 yr olds clearly outweigh the dangers of uncommon circumstances of coronary heart irritation.
* COVID-19 sufferers who require surgical procedure seem to face fewer issues if they’ve beforehand been vaccinated towards the flu, new information recommend.
* U.S. drugmaker Merck & Co Inc stated the European Union’s drug regulator has initiated a real-time evaluation of its experimental COVID-19 antiviral drug for adults.
* International fairness markets rose, whereas U.S. Treasury yields dipped as buyers have been buoyed by a better-than-expected U.S. company earnings season that kicks into gear this week. [MKTS/GLOB]
* The European Union disbursed 600 million euros ($698 million) to Ukraine, the second tranche of an support programme to assist its japanese European neighbour by the financial shock of the pandemic.
(Compiled by Aditya Soni and Uttaresh. V; Modifying by Anil D’Silva and Arun Koyyur)